- Visiting Assistant Professor in Theatre
- Go to our website »
Visiting Assistant Professor in Theatre
Humanities & Arts Department
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Worcester Polytechnic Institute's Humanities and Arts Department invites applications for a Visiting Assistant Professor in Theatre for the 2023-2024 academic year, beginning in August 2023. We seek a theatre generalist, historian, dramaturg, and/or director who could teach four 7-week courses (Introduction to Theatre, Dramatic Literature: Contemporary Plays, Performance Studies: Immersion & Interactivity, & a fourth course to be determined) and mentor two cohorts of students through production-based projects in acting, directing, and/or dramaturgy.
As a division of the Department of Humanities & Arts, WPI Theatre presents two major productions per year and offers courses in a wide array of theatrical sub-disciplines, including acting, playwriting, design, and technical production. Like many WPI academic experiences, these offerings employ a project-based learning approach, in which students learn by doing. WPI students may study theatre as part of the six-course Humanities and Arts undergraduate requirement; they may also pursue a minor or a major concentration in Theatre. In addition to managing its own activities, the Theatre faculty provide informal support to WPI's various performance-based student organizations, which produce plays, musicals, comedy shows, and other events.
The position requires teaching excellence, versatility, and cultural sensitivity. In their application materials, candidates should demonstrate the ability to teach engaging, project-based versions of the courses listed above; to mentor students of mixed experience levels through production experiences; and to contribute to an evolving culture of diversity and inclusion at WPI.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Teaching 4 courses and mentoring 2 groups of project students through hands-on production experiences
- Collaborating with other Theatre faculty about the general operation of the program, including but not limited: production oversight, supervision of student workers, and informal mentorship of student theatre organizations.
- Participating in initiatives conducted by the Humanities and Arts Department
- MFA, PhD, or DFA in theatre, or comparable terminal degree in another relevant field
- At least three years of professional theatre experience
- At least three years of successful teaching at the university level
- The ability to work creatively and collaboratively across disciplines with faculty, staff, and students of various experience levels
As part of your application, please submit:
- Cover letter that addresses your teaching philosophy and experience; your professional experience; how you would teach the assigned courses noted above; and how you see yourself adding to WPI's efforts to build a more diverse, equitable, inclusive learning environment
- Current CV including academic and professional experience
- Contact information for three professional references
WPI requires that all employees to be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19 and boosted. For additional information, please go to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi/health-and-safety/vaccine-information
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. It seeks individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity, collaboration, inclusion, problem solving, innovation, high performance, and change making. It is committed to maintaining a campus environment free of harassment and discrimination.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Visiting-Assistant-Professor-in-Theatre_R0002333
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency