VP, Information Technology CIO
Finance & Operations Division
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Reporting to the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, the Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer (VP/CIO) will provide strategic leadership for planning and delivery of information technology and services to support WPI's mission, vision and strategic plan. The incumbent will lead the development of a long-term vision for information technology to support WPI's research and educational mission and community. The VP/CIO will oversee the effectiveness and efficiency in Network Operations, Systems Services, Application Administration, Data Architecture, Enterprise Resource Planning, Support Services, Project Management, Academic Technologies, Research Computing, Change Management, Web Development, and IT Security, providing leadership of transformation that supports all aspects of the value proposition of WPI. The VP/CIO serves as the principal liaison to the campus community, including the President's Management Council, IT Governance Committee, Faculty Governance Committee, and the Technology Task Force of the Board of Trustees on relevant matters regarding the of information technology.
WPI Information Technology Services (ITS) supports instructional, research and administrative requirements, and is responsible for all centrally managed computing, networking and telecommunications facilities, as well as university-wide software implementation. ITS is also dedicated to advising, providing solutions, and delivering excellent service in alignment with the WPI's mission and goals.
The incumbent will facilitate innovation and integrated solutions in support of teaching, learning, research, service and administration for the WPI community of approximately 7,700 faculty, staff and students. WPI ITS is a hybrid on-premises/cloud hosted environment providing computational and storage resources and wired and wireless connectivity and security for 20,000 computing devices.
WPI is embarking on an exciting multi-year Enterprise Transformation Program. The VP/CIO will play a vital role in working with the team on projects such as, continuous improvement of Workday for Students, Salesforce enhancements/integration, and overseeing the implementation of cloud and software defined environment initiatives.
The VP/CIO is responsible for strategy development and operational implementation. The incumbent will leverage relationship building on campus and with external resources such as vendors and service providers, problem solving, budget management, and creativity to create a vision of information technology for the campus and to implement that vision in a high-quality and sustainable manner.
The VP/CIO must be committed to the career and professional development of the staff, fostering practices for managing individual and team performance. The incumbent should be a flexible leader capable of motivating through team leadership skills, a clear vision, exceptional interpersonal and communication abilities, and a talent for leading and managing change.
- Oversee the IT organization's strategic and tactical planning, organizational management, financial management and project governance, and lead day to day IT operations.
- Provide leadership and vision for the development and use of information systems, resources, and technologies that support WPI's academic and administrative needs.
- Lead the development and implementation of strategies for the effective utilization of IT resources and capabilities.
- Provide leadership for senior managers in the IT organization.
- Develop and maintain a research infrastructure ensuring the success of WPI's research agenda and teaching and learning technology resources for academic program delivery.
- Foster working relationships with WPI faculty, academic deans and department heads, administration and students. Collaborate with WPI faculty and staff on IT services, standards, and policy issues.
- Lead, manage, and ensure communication in cross-functional IT projects and personnel, leading to successful completion within the collegial environment.
- Keep current on and communicate IT-related topics affecting WPI, and ensure technologies used are consistent with WPI's enterprise information architecture standards.
- Develop and maintain information technology operating and capital budgets.
- Develop and implement programs and initiatives including key performance metrics to assess information technology effectiveness within the ITS department and across WPI.
- Advance the University's diversity and inclusion efforts by developing a team culture of respect, professional growth, customer service and accountability. Serve as a strong organizational advocate for department and staff, representing their interests and needs of the campus community.
- Develop effective working relationships with members of an increasingly diverse community, including students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, donors, and business partners.
- Maintain effective relationships with professional colleagues at similar institutions to keep abreast of market developments and best-practices.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Significant technical competence, having progressed through roles of increasing responsibility managing technology organizations.
- A significant record of administrative leadership and achievement; knowledge and experience of the operations of a large service-oriented organization comprised of a diverse population.
- Ability to demonstrate a strong orientation and commitment to customer service.
- Ability to be a positive change agent within WPI's distinctive university culture by identifying and implementing imaginative and entrepreneurial solutions to complex problems. Work as a strategic visionary, connecting best practice programs and initiatives to the university's mission and established goals.
- Demonstrated success leading initiatives focused on transformational change within IT and the larger organization.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to use data to guide decision-making; ability to direct and resolve ambiguous problems.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills that support a collegial, consultative, and forthright style of leadership.
- Unquestioned integrity with a high energy level and a strong work ethic. Broad intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for fresh ideas.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with diverse user groups, including faculty and administrative staff, trustees, students, external resources and professional peers and success in maintaining high levels of user satisfaction in the provision of technology and related support services.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in a relevant discipline.
- A record of at least ten years' accomplishment in establishing and implementing a vision for information technology services and project delivery that advances the organization's mission, maximizes efficiency and return on investment, and demonstrates effective stewardship of technology assets and services for large high-volume organizations, with at least five of those years in a senior leadership position.
- Significant experience with enterprise resource planning implementation.
- Strong budget planning and management experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills working with both technical and non-technical audiences.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master's degree from an accredited institution in information technology, science, engineering, business administration, or a related field.
- A history of leadership in professional organizations in higher education information technology.
- A record of successful interinstitutional projects in information technology.
Please include a cover letter with your resume for consideration.
WPI requires that all employees to be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19 and boosted (if applicable). For additional information, please go to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi.
About Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI)
Founded in 1865 in Worcester, Massachusetts, WPI is one of the nation's first engineering and technology universities. Its 14 academic departments offer more than 50 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in science, engineering, technology, business, the social sciences, and the humanities and arts, leading to bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees. WPI's talented faculty work with students on interdisciplinary research that seeks solutions to important and socially relevant problems in fields as diverse as the life sciences and bioengineering, energy, information security, materials processing, and robotics. Students also have the opportunity to make a difference to communities and organizations around the world through the university's innovative Global Projects Program. There are more than 45 WPI project centers throughout the Americas, Africa, Asia-Pacific, and Europe.
Located in the heart of Worcester, MA, New England's second largest city, WPI's sprawling campus is set on a secluded hilltop in an area that is home to 13 colleges, several top notch museums, shopping centers, and diverse arts and entertainment. The WPI community consists of approximately 460 faculty members and 680 staff.
Where science and technology meet real-world challenges
WPI was founded in 1865 to create and convey the latest science and engineering knowledge in ways that are most beneficial to society. WPI's founding motto of Theory and Practice continues to underlie our academic programs. WPI graduates emerge ready to take on critical challenges in science and technology, knowing how their work can influence society and improve the quality of life.
Our world-class faculty is both renowned and accomplished. In the National Survey of Student Engagement, WPI ranked first for student-faculty interactions, a measure of the quality and quantity of time spent by faculty with undergraduate students. Our Distinguished faculty were ranked top in the nation by the Wall Street Journal for Combining Scholarly Research with Classroom Instruction.
WPI's research is internationally recognized for breakthroughs and innovations in biotechnology, fuel cells, nanotechnology, information security, and more.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/VP--Information-Technology-CIO_R0002033
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-a10f9b810f41eb4d87f9952ff56db746