- Systems Engineer II
- Go to our website »
Systems Engineer II
Academic & Research Computing
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The System Engineer is responsible for maintaining the overall design, support and monitoring services of WPI's Linux based systems. Coordinate with fellow Systems Engineers and ITS staff to develop standards and procedures to ensure repeatable processes that enable highly available systems.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Work with students, faculty, and staff to understand project requirements and design appropriate computational solutions
- Create virtual systems to support research projects
- Rack, wire, configure, and install server hardware in a datacenter environment
- Maintain, patch, monitor, and repair systems as needed
- Work closely with students to help them develop and deploy services in a stable and secure manner
- Review security incidents and determine appropriate mitigation Strategies
- Author and maintain documentation and contact lists of systems, as well as the interactions and dependencies between systems
- Participate in change management processes, work with ITS staff to identify and manage risks, gaps, and competing priorities involving the systems managed
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field in order to provide the necessary understanding and management along with 4-6 years' experience in similar or related work.
- A thorough knowledge of Linux/Unix systems administration, with a focus on RHEL and Ubuntu.
- Knowledge of basic enterprise networking concepts (VLANs and bonding).
- Knowledge configuration management and/or desired state enforcement.
- Experience with Ansible and Satellite preferred.
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all users.
WPI requires that all employees to be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19 and boosted. For additional information, please go to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi/health-and-safety/vaccine-information
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. It seeks individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity, collaboration, inclusion, problem solving, innovation, high performance, and change making. It is committed to maintaining a campus environment free of harassment and discrimination.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Systems-Engineer-II_R0002340
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency