Sr Director, Public Affairs
Canada - Ontario
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Reporting to the Head of Public Affairs for Australia, Canada and Europe (ACE), this role is responsible for the delivery of strategic branded and unbranded communication programs, community engagement plus corporate and employee communication intended to protect and enhance Gilead's corporate reputation while helping Gilead to become the biotech employer and partner of choice.
This role is responsible for managing public relations and stakeholder relationships for the organization in Canada. This includes the delivery of corporate and brand communication programs, as well as all corporate communication (both internal and external), issues and reputation management and leading successful media campaigns for the organization. The Senior Director, Public Affairs (Canada) will be part of the Canadian leadership team, and will also have direct reports. This role works closely with Public Affairs colleagues globally and within ACE.Main Projected Responsibilities
- Responsible for the development and execution of the Gilead Canada's communications strategy, in alignment with global direction and local leadership, in support of the product portfolio and business objectives, anticipating short-medium and long-term needs. This role covers a wide range of areas including media relations, digital, reputation management, issues and crisis management, brand/therapeutic area communications, corporate communications, and employee engagement
- Design and implement strategic programs and narratives that proactively communicate Gilead's perspective and shape corporate reputation
- It will be important to develop, strengthen and maintain key relationships with a wide variety of community advocates, organizations and professionals and champion patient engagement in appropriate cross-functional projects
- Help to raise Gilead's profile among industry associations, media, and other influential organizations in Canada
- Coordination with cross-functional colleagues to ensure alignment and collaboration in strategic priorities and messaging across different stakeholders
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with business press, consumer media, key industry opinion leaders and external stakeholders
- Respond to media requests and coordinate interviews with Gilead spokespeople and external spokespeople as appropriate
- Issues mitigation and management
- Drive internal communications and employee engagement by proactively driving ideas and programs that support culture evolution
- Effectively manage all aspects of public relations agency relationships, including direction and project management
- Collaborate and work closely with several internal and external stakeholders, including media requests.
- Budget management
- Understanding of the regulatory frameworks on local provincial and national levels and ability to compliantly manage internal approvals and interactions with the review team.
- Seeking an experienced professional with a minimum of ten years of experience in Public Affairs/Corporate Communications, Healthcare Public Relations or Media gained within the Broader Healthcare market segment (i.e. Pharmaceutical or Biotech experience is strongly preferred). Must have a proven track record in product communications (branded or non-branded) within a healthcare regulated environment in Canada. Other analogous regulated industry experience gained in a complex scientific environment will be considered. An overall gravitas for branded product communications.
- Strong people leadership skills which include a proven track record in developing, coaching, and managing a direct team.
- Must exhibit strong project management skills.
- Will have strong experience in overall media / press relations and experience leading successful media campaigns. Other well-rounded communication experiences include issues management and overall reputation management.
- Will have expertise at a national level, preferably with provincial and federal expertise.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Canadian political/health policy environment, including processes and key stakeholders, is strongly preferred.
- Experience with the patient community and the ability to work and engage with cross functional groups, and Key Opinion Leaders.
- Exceptional level of influencing skills and managing relationships within and outside of the organization with strong diplomatic skills.
- Ability to produce high quality communications, both internal and external with an evidence-based approach to guide decision making.
- Must be able to work in an environment with shifting and competing priorities and manage multiple projects.
- Change management oriented with the ability to drive positive changes internally and externally.
- Strong stakeholder management skills and the ability to engage and manage multiple internal and external stakeholders to achieve business objectives.
- Must be confident in engaging with senior management and high-profile experts appropriately.
- Fluency in French and English is strongly preferred. Non-bilingual candidates will also be considered.
- University Degree preferred as an academic baseline paired with relevant experience. BA Degree in Communications, Business, Liberal Arts, or a Science-focused field paired with relevant proven relevant experience.
Gilead Core Values
- Integrity (always doing the right thing)
- Teamwork (collaborating in good faith)
- Excellence (working at a high level of commitment and capability)
- Accountability (taking personal responsibility)
- Inclusion (encouraging diversity)
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/Canada---Ontario/Sr-Director--Public-Affairs_R0015616-1
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency