This ad is expired.
Senior Counsel, Privacy
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead's Legal team is seeking a creative, agile, and diligent attorney to join the Privacy, Cybersecurity, and Information Governance team. As an integral member of the Legal Department, this role will have broad responsibility for managing the Company's global privacy program.
The Privacy, Cybersecurity, and Information Governance group serves as the legal arm of Gilead's global privacy program. This team provides leadership and counsel across Gilead to enable consistent, effective privacy practices which minimize risk and ensure the confidentiality of protected information. The team's responsibilities include the daily operations of the program, implementation, maintenance of policies and procedures, monitoring program compliance, and training.
Essential Duties and Job Functions
This Senior Counsel will serve as a key member of and leader within the team. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Advise key members of the business on best practices and compliance with global privacy and data protection laws such as:
- Supporting a privacy by design approach
- Overseeing legal and regulatory aspects of data collection and use, privacy disclosures and transparency
- Data security and breaches
- Use of emerging technologies
- Serve as a resource to Gilead's contracting functions to ensure successful negotiation of data privacy related contract terms in its operational agreements across a wide spectrum of vendors typical to the biopharma industry.
- Support procedures for vetting and auditing vendors, for compliance with the privacy and data security policies and legal requirements.
- Support coordination with appropriate regulating bodies to ensure that programs, policies and procedures are consistent with law and regulations
Support process for receiving, documenting, investigating and reporting unauthorized access or disclosure of protected information.
Policies and Training
- Advise on corporate privacy policies and procedures.
- Assist in the development and delivery of privacy training materials and other communications to increase employee understanding of company privacy policies, data handling practices and procedures, and legal obligations.
- Coordinate with business teams to ensure awareness of best practices on privacy and data security issues.
- Serve as privacy resource to the organization regarding release of information and to all departments for privacy related issues.
- Expert knowledge of global privacy laws, regulations and best practices.
- Experience working with data privacy laws in Asia highly desired.
- Legal experience with information governance.
- Proven success in process development, implementation and project management.
- Results-oriented, proactive, responsible and pragmatic
- Passionate about solving complex problems in creative, efficient and cost-effective ways.
- Translate global compliance environments into actionable policies and processes that enable business objectives.
- Exercises mature and reliable decision-making skills.
- Capable of working in complex organizational context, often without formal authority, in a highly matrixed environment.
- Skilled in triaging a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients, and timely delivery of results.
- Ability to understand and adapt to emerging technologies.
- Takes initiative, proactive with exceptional work ethic.
- Possess solid interpersonal skills to collaborate and work efficiently within a team.
- Competently carry out and follow through on directives, learn quickly, apply legal analysis in a business context, and work independently to identify issues and goals.
- J.D. from a nationally accredited law school.
- Admission to CA state bar, registration as in-house counsel, or ability to gain admission or registration for either in applicable state within 90 days.
- 7+ years privacy experience at a law firm or in-house
- CIPP certification a plus.
Gilead Core Values:
- Integrity (Doing What's Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Senior-Counsel--Privacy_R0016358
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency