Robotics Lab Manager
Robotics Engineering Department
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
WPI's Robotics Engineering Department seeks a Lab Manager to contribute to our unique interdisciplinary and project-oriented robotics curriculum. The primary duties of the Lab Manager include maintaining lab spaces and assisting faculty with our intensive, hands-on curriculum, including developing and maintaining hardware and lab infrastructure.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
In conjunction with faculty, the Lab Manager will:
- Support RBE core courses in day-to-day operations,
- Manage lab spaces and equipment,
- Review and develop hardware and software used in courses, and
- Manage student lab staff.
A qualified candidate must be able to demonstrate excellence in organizing and managing laboratory activities. Given the hands-on nature of the robotics curriculum, significant practical experience in robotics is desired. An advanced degree is a plus.
Laboratory spaces in RBE are used primarily for undergraduate courses, but also for individual or group projects and graduate courses. Courses with laboratory components require significant preparation and organization, both on a daily basis and for longer-term updates of infrastructure. In conjunction with award-winning faculty, the successful candidate would have the opportunity to explore and implement solutions to teaching challenges in a department at the forefront of robotics education.
- Organize, setup, and maintain RBE teaching laboratory facilities.
- Evaluate and requisition shop and teaching laboratory supplies, equipment, and materials.
- Ensure the physical condition (facilities, organization, neatness, safety) of assigned teaching laboratories and other facilities.
- Manage the maintenance of equipment, computers, and networks used in RBE teaching laboratories.
- Provide guidance and assistance to students working on projects and research.
- Ensure proper safety procedures are being followed at all times.
- Supervise and train graduate and undergraduate students in the use of specialized equipment needed by RBE students for work on projects and research.
- Design, fabricate, and manufacture components to support students, faculty, and staff.
- Supervise Student Assistants working in the RBE teaching laboratory.
- Work with other RBE staff and faculty in meeting all program needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School graduate with experience in electromechanical design, fabrication, assembly, and testing. Bachelor's degree or equivalent in engineering or technology field, with 5-10 years relevant experience highly desirable.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Experience in inventory management and procurement.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, including the ability to work productively with a wide range of people.
- Ability to communicate and translate technical ideas or abstract visions with students of multi-cultural backgrounds and differing skill levels.
One or more of the following is desired:
- Experience in the design and fabrication of robots, electromechanical systems, mechatronic systems, or similar.
- Experience designing and implementing embedded software for robotics applications.
- Experience in the setup, maintenance and troubleshooting of PC, laptop, server, and networking hardware.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows and Ubuntu Linux operating systems and the Robot Operating System.
- Experience designing and producing 3D printed components using a common CAD package (SolidWorks preferred).
Applicants should submit a resume, a cover letter addressing their qualifications, and names and email addresses for at least three references. Please direct queries to the search committee at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
WPI requires employees to be fully-vaccinated (including a booster shot) for COVID-19. For additional information on WPI's response to COVID-19, refer to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Robotics-Lab-Manager_R0001963
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-eafaf03cb1bf1147a5c40fd70486d5e8