This ad is expired.
Head of Intellectual Property Litigation, Senior Associate General Counsel
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead is seeking a Head of Intellectual Property (IP) Litigation (Senior Associate General Counsel) to join its Legal Team with responsibility for the strategic planning and management of IP litigation matters. Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Litigation, the attorney will serve as a key member of the Litigation leadership team.
The attorney will help set Gilead's IP litigation strategy, effectively and efficiently manage and resolve IP litigation disputes and patent challenges, manage outside counsel spend and budgets, and work with internal stakeholders on corporate disclosures and communications. Leading a team of experienced in-house attorneys, the successful head of IP Litigation will be an experienced people manager comfortable managing a functional area of a sophisticated business; a self-starter, able to work independently and in teams, to counsel and present to executive management including C-Suite executives.
- Directs, manages and/or coordinates all US and Global patent litigation for all products, including international opposition, revocation and invalidation proceedings on key patents.
- Responsible for interviewing fact witnesses, interviewing and selecting expert witnesses, and attending depositions.
- Makes necessary day-to-day decisions regarding specific issues with opposing counsel, witnesses, and outside counsel.
- Evaluates opposing counsel's positions on specific issues, settlement options and recommends a course of action to pursue to senior management.
- Accountable for budget compliance with the ability to anticipate when scope expands beyond original estimates.
- Maintains knowledge of relevant and developing case law and develops a working knowledge of litigation, opposition, revocation and invalidation proceedings in foreign jurisdictions.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and work efficiently in high volume work environment and under significant internal and external pressure.
- Requires ability to take initiative, think independently and perform highly sensitive tasks.
- Ability to write, edit and communicate clearly and diplomatically in legal and business formats.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with strong communication skills, including tact, diplomacy and professionalism.
- Experience and credibility in working directly with senior executives, regulatory officials, mediators, and the like.
- Precision and attention to detail are a must.
- Excellent judgment and use of discretion.
- Strong attention to detail with impeccable follow-up skills.
Specific Education & Experience Requirements:
- Requires a Juris Doctorate from a nationally accredited law school
- Admission to applicable state bar (CA), registration as in-house counsel, or ability to gain admission or registration for either in applicable state within 90 days.
- 15+ years of major law firm and/or in-house litigation experience, with a focus on patent litigation.
- Requires bachelor's degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry or related sciences with an advanced degree preferred.
- Experience managing high-stakes, complex, international litigation matters through trial and appellate court proceedings.
- Experience in Hatch-Waxman patent litigation experience preferred.
- Experience as a leader and people manager.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Head-of-Intellectual-Property-Litigation--Senior-Associate-General-Counsel_R0021341
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency