Financial Aid Counselor
Student Aid & Financial Literacy II
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
WPI seeks to hire a Financial Aid Counselor to serve as a primary source of financial aid information, providing customer service, counseling, and complex office support functions as it pertains to the Office of Student Aid & Financial Literacy including, but not limited to, evaluating and processing financial aid application materials, working with internal and external entities with a strong focus on customer service and financial aid procedures.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Counsel prospective and current students via telephone, in person, in writing or by email in all facets of financial aid including how to apply for aid, the status of aid applications and documents, the criteria for various financial aid funds, and ways to manage the costs of a WPI education.
- Staff the Office of Student Aid & Financial Literacy walk-in office for students, families, and visitors as part of rotating schedule.
- Collaborate with financial aid team as well as colleagues in other departments including a high level of interaction with the Bursar's Office and Registrar's Office.
- Use various internal software systems to follow flow of financial aid information from aid awarding system to student account to ensure accuracy and to identify any issues
- Document nature of contact (email, phone, or in person) with applicants, students, and families in our customer relationship management (CRM) system, Salesforce.
- Serve as troubleshooter between students and financial aid directors by requesting detailed information from inquirers and researching the question prior to escalating the inquiry.
- Co-monitor the submission of all outside scholarship forms, upload scholarship information into the Salesforce CRM and document management system, and review reports to help reconcile outside scholarship records.
- Oversee the office voicemail system by retrieving and responding to messages in a timely manner.
- Manage and monitor enrollment change notifications received from the WPI Registrar's Office, as well as project center and cooperative education rosters from the Career Development Center, and upload documentation into the Salesforce CRM and document management system.
- Use professional judgment in responding to highly sensitive, confidential issues regarding the administration of financial aid awards.
- Apply critical listening skills, training, and resources to ensure accuracy of information communicated to inquirers.
- Communicate effectively with a diverse population in a professional manner using tact, poise, patience, and courtesy.
- Fulfill scanning and student data upload procedures for the office.
- Assist directors and financial aid team with projects relating to the general needs of the department.
- Perform other job-related duties as required or assigned.
- High school diploma required; Associate Degree preferred.
- 3-4 years of office or administrative experience demonstrating a thorough knowledge and proven efficiency with office practices and a high level of competency in technology; including, but not limited to Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word.
- Demonstrates experience in customer service required and strong commitment to quality service and customer service to faculty, staff, students, and other constituents.
- Possesses excellent communication skills, especially the ability to communicate effectively, with sensitivity and confidentiality, by phone, email, Zoom meetings and in person.
- Ability to contribute to a positive college experience for each and every student.
- Ability to independently manage multiple priorities and responsibilities in a high-volume, fast-paced office environment.
- Balances the need to make timely actions while seeking input from appropriate individuals.
- Fosters open communication, acceptance, and appreciation of diverse populations so that the campus community and constituents are welcomed, valued, and feel a sense of belonging.
- Respects the unique needs, perspectives and thoughts of all teams and constituents.
- Soft Skills Required:
- Excellent communicator
- Positive attitude
- Helpful collaborator
- Ability to work in multiple systems and use remote technologies
- Sensitivity towards others
- Responsive and responsible
- Team builder
- Ability to receive constructive feedback
- Sense of humor
- Hours of Work: Full-time role, 37.5 hours/weekly, 8am-4:30pm or 8:30am-5pm, Monday-Friday (year-round); Hybrid work available once successful candidate is fully trained - 2 days remote work, 3 days in-office.
WPI requires that all employees to be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19 and boosted. For additional information, please go to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi/health-and-safety/vaccine-information
United States of America (Non-Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. It seeks individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity, collaboration, inclusion, problem solving, innovation, high performance, and change making. It is committed to maintaining a campus environment free of harassment and discrimination.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Financial-Aid-Counselor_R0002151
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency