Facilities Project Manager
Design & Construction
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Plans, directs, coordinates, and documents activities of designated capital projects to ensure that goals and objectives are accomplished within prescribed time frame and funding parameters by performing the following duties personally, through departmental colleagues, or with the assistance of outside vendors.
Maintains a positive attitude, is proactive and productive in problem-solving, and displays exemplary attributes for teamwork, mutual respect, and support within the project team, with the other divisions within Facilities, and with other service departments on campus.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES: Manage projects from conception, through design, completion of construction, occupancy and post-occupancy evaluation. Responsible for architect, contractor and design team coordination with the various constituency's on campus (User Groups, Facilities, IT, Network Operations, Procurement, Risk Management, etc.) as well as the budget and schedule. Project types include research and teaching laboratories, student housing, classrooms, offices as well as specialized construction. Assess campus client needs and coordinate proper documentation of all projects with design consultants, as well as monitor and coordinate work of other WPI service departments throughout the project execution. Assess conditions and perform inspections of existing facilities as well as new work. The selected candidate shall be able to work with all levels of academic departments and administration, will have excellent oral and written communication skills, and will be able to manage multiple projects concurrently with excellent response to deadlines. Promotes and assures continuous improvement; establishes and maintains productive relationships with a full range of campus and external constituents, reflecting a strong commitment to customer service. Adheres to all departmental and college practices, policies and procedures for compliance with standard operating procedures, and campus systems and design standards. Reviews details of projects with client and WPI service staff for operational impact before, during and after construction. Documents and coordinates preventive maintenance requirements and operational training for project closeout. Identifies and facilitates procurement and installation of FFE and relocation and installation of existing items and equipment.
- BIDDING & COMPETITION: Bidding of contracts and/or subcontracts to ensure competitive pricing, quality and experience. The candidate will track and monitor all budget expenses and forecast upcoming costs associated with each project and will develop reports to be presented to executive administration. Ensures that 3 bids are received for all work over a pre-determined dollar value.
- DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT: During construction, the selected candidate shall provide on-site representation for WPI; oversee contractor compliance with contract drawings and specifications, monitor contractor progress, handle contractor questions; screen contractor administrative work/payment requests. Ensure proper documentation is maintained throughout the project and archival of information in an organized digital format for easy and logistical retrieval.
- SAFETY: Ensures job site area safety for workers as well as others that may be affected. Reports any unsafe conditions or equipment, or damage/ vandalism for immediate response, repair, or replacement.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Communicates regularly with customers and others impacted by the project as to the status, schedule of activities, and any special accommodations needed or information to be provided. Participates in post-occupancy evaluation of projects for quality improvement and customer satisfaction. Confers with other facilities personnel to provide technical advice and to resolve problems. Serves as a University representative to external agencies including local officials on assigned projects. Assists other project managers and supervisors with certain tasks or responsibilities.
- AFTER HOURS: - Participates as one of several after - hours on call managers on a rotating cycle for 24/7 ability to respond to emergencies. Weather-related, and special events. Provides and oversees emergency response as needed according to department protocol.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Required: Bachelor's degree in engineering or construction management and four years' experience in construction project management, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong technical knowledge of architectural, mechanical and electrical building systems, construction materials and methods, and construction documentation, shop drawings; cost estimating; Knowledge of building codes, planning, zoning, and other regulations; Familiarity with LEED ratings and sustainability.
- Preferred: Experience in a college or university environment;
- Desirable: LEED-accreditation, Construction Supervisors License
- Organizational skills and ability to effectively communicate complex issues with a diverse population. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret construction drawings, contracts, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, contracts, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from contractors, staff, customers, and the general public.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Desirable: Knowledge of SCT Banner.
- Familiarity with BIM, AutoCAD, Revit, construction scheduling software, etc.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: - While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, reach, climb, kneel, crawl, talk, hear, and smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT: - While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat; risk of electrical shock; risk of radiation; and vibration. Noise level in the work environment may be loud.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Facilities-Project-Manager_R0001472
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency