This ad is expired.
- Assistant Research Professor
- Go to our website »
Assistant Research Professor
Mathematical Science Department
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
This research position entails the development of analytical and computational biophysical models to investigate the movement and collective motion of elastic structures in the viscous or over-damped limit. The main goals of the research are to develop novel methods to understand efficiency and interactions related to swimming micro-organisms in confined geometries and heterogeneous environments, as well as well as understand the role of molecular motors on centrosome clustering in mitotic cells.
- Write manuscripts to be submitted to peer-reviewed journals (two per year)
- Present research updates at weekly group meetings and external conferences (two per year)
- Develop code for simulations
- Analyze mathematical equations
- Interact with faculty and students working in this research group on a daily basis
- Learn relevant biological material to develop new models
- Perform literature searches on a weekly basis
- PhD in Mathematical Sciences or a PhD in a related Engineering program with an emphasis on analytical and computational techniques related to fluid dynamics and/or agent based models
- Experience writing peer-reviewed manuscripts and giving research presentations
- Experience with or willingness to learn analytical and computational techniques related to fundamental solutions of fluid dynamics
- Familiarity with computational techniques for fluid dynamics, coding, asymptotic analysis, and model development
- Familiarity with modeling elastic structures and force-balance models
Working Conditions: This position will initially involve extensive remote work, which will involve independent research and availability for daily zoom meetings. The position will also include some on-campus meetings and work, with the goal of transitioning to a completely on-campus position in the future.
WPI requires that all employees to be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19 and boosted. For additional information, please go to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi/health-and-safety/vaccine-information
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. It seeks individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity, collaboration, inclusion, problem solving, innovation, high performance, and change making. It is committed to maintaining a campus environment free of harassment and discrimination.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Assistant-Research-Professor_R0002345
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency