- Academic Technology Specialist
- Go to our website »
Academic Technology Specialist
Job no: 526251
Work type: Staff
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Probationary, Full Time, Information Systems & Technology, On-site (work in-person at business location)
Academic Technology Specialist
Information Technology Services User Support Services
First Review Date: Monday, May 8, 2023
Open Until Filled
At Cal Poly Humboldt, bold hearts and open minds shape the future.
Founded in 1913, Cal Poly Humboldt began as a small college for teachers. Today Humboldt has grown into a comprehensive university with rigorous science and liberal arts programs. Designated a polytechnic in 2022, Cal Poly Humboldt provides hands-on, impactful educational opportunities that lead to meaningful, measurable outcomes for the individual, for the state, and the world.
Cal Poly Humboldt is proud to have nearly 6,000 students of all backgrounds spread across 61 majors, 13 graduate programs, and 4 credential programs - all of whom contribute passion and creativity within their fields and set the stage for a future grounded in equity and sustainability. Hands-on learning, inspired teaching, ground-breaking research, and thought-provoking creative activity happen daily at Humboldt.
Cal Poly Humboldt is a Hispanic-Serving Institution that strives to foster an inclusive and equitable community to support our students of diverse backgrounds. We are committed to achieving the goals of equal opportunity and endeavors to employ faculty and staff of the highest quality committed to working in a multicultural and multiracial community that reflects the diversity of the state.
Finding a better future is a task for the bold and open, the down-to-earth and visionary. Cal Poly Humboldt strives to cultivate these qualities in leaders, innovators, and scholars in every field.
(Job #526251) Info Tech Consultant II - Career, Academic Technology Specialist (x2), Salary Range: $4,678 - $11,547 monthly. Hiring Range: $4,678 - $6,667 monthly. Appointments are typically made at the beginning of the salary range. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a full-time, benefited, exempt, 12-month pay plan permanent position with a one-year probationary period in Customer Care, Information Technology Services (ITS). This position comes with a premium benefits package that includes outstanding vacation, medical, dental, and vision plans, life insurance, voluntary pre-tax health and dependent care reimbursement accounts, a fee waiver education program, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and 14 paid holidays per year. Additional benefits information can be found at https://hraps.humboldt.edu/employee-benefits.
This position blends interpersonal, and technical skills to
- Support specialized equipment and instruments in our instructional and research spaces,
- Assist students and faculty with the use of academic-related software applications,
- Provide general technical support in our labs and classrooms, and
- Assist in meeting the technical needs of new and existing research projects.
We are seeking a strong, positive, professional, and empathetic candidate with both strong technical skills as well as the communication skills necessary to successfully assist students and faculty in multiple technical areas. A high degree of customer service and professionalism should be present in every interaction with a strong focus on Cal Poly Humboldt's commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Support Specialized Applications and Equipment
- Administration of specialized instructional and/or research applications, including but not limited to scientific instrument software and firmware, data gathering and analysis tools, and cloud products used for research or instructional purposes.
- Take ownership of the lifecycle of specialized equipment and instrumentation including procuring, installing, tracking, upgrading, and disposal.
- Examples of the equipment and instruments include microscopes, specialized printers (like for 3D printing), VR goggles, specialized cameras, etc.
- Utilize close relationships with faculty to gather requirements, research alternatives, implement pilot programs, and coordinate with other ITS teams to move services into production.
- Documentation and Training for specialized instructional applications, including but not limited to scientific instrument software and firmware, data gathering and analysis tools, and cloud products used for research or instructional purposes.
- Support of highly customized equipment and software at remote research locations, including the Telonicher Marine Lab, Coral Sea research vessel, and others
- Develop relationships with staff and faculty in assigned areas and maintain open lines of direct communication to facilitate and build confidence in program development and support
- Acquire knowledge and experience to act as a subject matter expert in covered instructional areas (GSP, CS, etc.)
- Monitor research support queue along with other ITS staff
- Work with ITS and 3rd party vendors (e.g. cloud providers) to obtain, manage, and support the resources required to support these programs (e.g. VMs, on-prem equipment, networking, etc.)
- Work with other ITS staff members and appropriate committees such as ATAC to evaluate and approve specialized technology or to implement existing solutions for other purposes. Work closely with System Administrators, research Architect/Engineer, the Research Support Technician, and Client Technology to maintain a robust, secure, and modern instructional technology and equipment platform
- Enable and encourage a solid, innovative technical platform for instruction and research, within the policies and desired outcomes of Customer Care, ITS, and Cal Poly Humboldt
Support the Technical Needs of Faculty Researchers
- Work with faculty and the ITS Research Support Technician to support the technical needs of Cal Poly Humboldt researchers
- Build and maintain relationships with faculty: understand needs, get feedback, research, design services. The design services will be performed in consultation with the ITS Research Support Technician and will need to comply with Cal Poly Humboldt Enterprise requirements
- Develop and implement proof of concepts/options. Determine how we integrate with our existing systems
- Partner with faculty champions
- Work closely with ITS groups to evaluate and test technology keeping an eye towards expanding standards while providing a solution that meets faculty needs. For example, computer and storage solutions for research. This work will also need to be done in consultation with the ITS Research Support Technician
Support computing equipment and software in labs & classrooms
- Coordinate with other ITS staff to ensure that STEM Research and Instructional areas are equipped with regularly updated technology platforms
- Assist other Customer Care resources with Staging and Deployment of Research and Instructional Equipment
- Support appropriate lab computers and applications
- Support classroom and lab technology including projectors, cameras, microphones, speakers, document cameras, and other Hyflex and AV equipment
- Assist staff and faculty with their current or future hardware, software, and peripheral (scanners, printers, etc.) needs and consulting on purchases.
- Troubleshoot problems via phone, email, remote software (Zoom, TeamViewer, etc.), and on-site visits to provide exceptional customer support
- Perform other diverse and wide ranging tasks including, but not limited to, printer deployment, customer data backup and retention, and research technology support.
Other Customer Care and ITS Activities
- Collaborate in a courteous, flexible and open manner with other ITS staff and campus users through team contact and mutual support, excellent communication and responsiveness
- Provide input and feedback in order to improve service, including collaborating with other ITS staff to create documentation for ITS services
- Coordination with other ITS and campus teams
Other Duties as Assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Associated with this Position Include:
- Ability to communicate effectively with the campus community
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to provide software and hardware support in large deployment environments
- Demonstrated organizational skills to balance work demands for projects, critical outages, planning and ongoing operational needs
- Demonstrated experience and success in project management, planning, process improvement, and implementing, and supporting IT projects
- Demonstrated cultural humility, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of students, faculty, and staff.
- Demonstrated commitment and/or experience promoting and fostering a working (or learning) environment that is supportive of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- To enter this classification, a basic foundation of knowledge and skills in technical information systems and application program packages is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study.
- Foundation knowledge and skills for the Information Technology Consultant, depending on the nature of the position assignment, may include working knowledge of common software application packages, equipment platforms, reference database systems and sources, and training methods and a basic understanding of networks, data communication, and multimedia systems.
- Linux expertise
- Experience with Cloud Technologies (e.g. Azure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), or Google Cloud Platform (GCP))
- Higher Education experience
- Demonstrated experience consulting with faculty or researchers on projects
- Demonstrated ability to optimize solutions balancing researcher needs with available resources and funding
- Demonstrated experience building and supporting enterprise solutions
- Familiarity with coding and scripting concepts
Application Procedure: To apply, qualified candidates must electronically submit the following materials by clicking the Apply Now button:
- Letter of Interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for at least three professional references
Application Deadline: The deadline to submit application materials for first review is 11:55 p.m. on Monday, May 8, 2023.
Any inquiries about this recruitment can be directed to email@example.com or Cal Poly Humboldt's Human Resources Office at (707) 826-3626.
Cal Poly Humboldt sits on the traditional homelands of the Wiyot people in what is currently called Arcata, CA. The Wiyot people call the area Goudi'ni (over in the woods). Cal Poly Humboldt was the first campus in the California State University system to offer a stand-alone major in Native American Studies.
Cal Poly Humboldt is committed to enriching its educational environment and its culture through the diversity of its staff, faculty, and administration. Persons with interest and experience in helping organizations set and achieve goals relative to diversity and inclusion are especially encouraged to apply.
Working in the state of California is a condition of employment for this position. Even if part or all of an employee's assignment can be performed remotely, the employee must maintain a permanent residence in the state of California. The employee must be able to accept on-campus work assignment, as assigned, and come to campus when needed.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cal Poly Humboldt hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. This position may be considered a "Campus Security Authority", pursuant to the Clery Act, and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1107 a condition of employment.
CAL POLY HUMBOLDT IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
Evidence of required degree(s), certification(s), or license(s) is required prior to the appointment date. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check, employment verification, and education verification) is required for employment. Cal Poly Humboldt will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or if it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Certain positions may also require a credit check, motor vehicle report, and/or fingerprinting through Live Scan service. Failure to satisfactorily complete or adverse findings from a background check may affect the employment status of candidates or continued employment of current CSU employees who are being considered for the position.
Cal Poly Humboldt is committed to achieving the goals of equal opportunity and endeavors to employ faculty and staff of the highest quality reflecting the ethnic and cultural diversity of the state. Additional information about Cal Poly Humboldt can be found at www.humboldt.edu.
Cal Poly Humboldt is a Title IX/Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Mandated Reporting: This position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Additionally, all CSU staff and faculty receive training annually on their obligations in responding to and reporting incidents of sexual harassment and sexual violence. You will be notified by email when you are required to take this mandated training.
Class Code: 0420
Publication Date: April 21, 2023
Advertised: 21 Apr 2023 Pacific Daylight Time
Application Closes: Pacific Daylight Time
To apply, visit https://careers.humboldt.edu/hm/en-us/job/526251/academic-technology-specialist
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency