Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
WPI currently has two openings for an Academic Advisor. Reporting to the Director of Academic Advising Operations, the Academic Advisor supports undergraduate students from a developmental advising approach, educates students in a flexible and creative learning environment, and is an active participant in collaborating with students, faculty, and staff to promote academic success. The Office of Academic Advising reinforces the goals of WPI, in providing an "education (that) encompasses continuous striving for excellence coupled with an examination of the contexts of learning so that knowledge is won not only for its own sake but also for the sake of the human community of which the people of WPI are part". This position is an integral member of the advising office, by helping students identify resources to support them in their academic, career, and personal goals as they interactively engage in the local and global environment.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
Serves as an academic advising resource for a caseload of students across majors and class years by:
- Conducting individual advising appointments throughout the academic year to assist students with short- and long-term academic planning, major selection, and course selection.
- Assist students in navigating campus systems, as well as accessing and utilizing appropriate resources to support their academic and personal success.
Provide course registration support to students by:
- Conducting individual student appointments to help students outline an appropriate course schedule
- Providing drop-in availability during all add/drop and course registration periods to assist students in planning and finalizing an appropriate path of study each term.
- Hosting informational sessions and/or presentations for specific groups of students regarding course selection and registration advice (e.g. First Year students).
Serve as an academic coach for academically at-risk students by:
- Providing weekly one-on-one meetings for students who have struggled academically.
- Helping students identify and address personal and academic challenges.
- Identify concrete strategies and resources to improve academic performance.
Collaborate with the CARE team regarding students of concern by:
- Submitting CARE reports for students whose concerns go beyond the scope of academic advising, or who area academically at-risk and unresponsive to outreach.
- Liaising with the CARE Team Coordinator on a plan to address each student of concern which may include communicating with students' faculty or family members as needed and/or appropriate.
Performs all other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor.
- A Master's degree preferred (Bachelor's required).
- At least 1 year experience in academic advising and /or student development at the college level preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff, and parents; needs to be able to handle sensitive situations with confidentiality.
- Must be comfortable in a technological based educational environment.
- Ability to work in a team centered and collaborative environment.
- Applicants must have demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace and/or commitment to do so as an employee at WPI.
This is an on-site role. Salary: $47,685 - $56,100. WPI's benefits package includes a robust retirement match, wellness perks, tuition assistance and more!
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. It seeks individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity, collaboration, inclusion, problem solving, innovation, high performance, and change making. It is committed to maintaining a campus environment free of harassment and discrimination.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Academic-Advisor_R0002610
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency